Every individual should seek the maximum out of a career that should culminate in achieving life long goals. But before that achievement it is important to create career objectives to facilitate creating the correct framework required to quickly progress up the career ladder.
What are some of the steps or worksheets to be prepared to understand what you want from a good career path:
- Strengths and weaknesses – objectively make list of your strengths and weaknesses and then envision a career that will leverage your strengths and avoid weaknesses.
- Change Lifestyle – are you happy with your current lifestyle – if you were to change it what would be the ideal – both at work and during leisure hours what would be best.
- What drives you? – what do you feel most passionately about? – what type of career will bring out the best in what you passionately feel about.
- Personal tastes – also play a key role in determining what type of job would be the best fit. So make a list of your own personal likes and dislikes and see if you can see yourself in a career that matches your personal tastes.
- What personality type – are you? Some jobs are typically suited for extroverts such as sales and marketing whereas others such as research and development, statistical analysis based careers require a more introverted personality type.
- What does success mean to you? is what do you think is success and how do you measure achievement? These are crucial to understanding in which direction to take your career. If you measure success based on purely financial terms then you would opt for the highest paying job – whereas a person who wants the reward of serving society would choose a
- Dream job analysis – picture yourself doing the type of job that was always dreamt about – what are the key features of that job – what do you need to achieve that in terms of experience, management skills and educational qualifications.
- Education and training – is a key component in any job and development training is important to ensure that you will move up to corporate ladder.